Few days ago, I talked to a guy who came to my apartment to set the internet and cable up. He told me when he was young, he started traveling around the world. Of course, when I heard about that, I felt amazed. I think most of the Taiwanese will have the same reaction as me. How did it happen that a guy who looks very young, actually has traveled a lot? YES, that’s why I am wondering. I noticed the phenomenon when I came to the US. Many people I talked to including my language program teachers had the experience of teaching in Asia, Africa or somewhere in the world, and earning money there. They even can stop their schooling, and just leave or do anything they want. It sounds very crazy and interesting to me because it barely happens in Taiwan.
I like the Western culture. What I have learned here is that the American families always encourage children’s creative aspirations, even though they have crazy dreams. Of course not every parent does, but my point is when Taiwanese are children, parents always keep us from doing something they think it is dangerous in order to protect us, but not here. In Asia, the children are just like products which are made up by parents.
I almost lost my best friend today
13 years ago

1 comments:
I was raised in a Chinese family so I was always sheltered from things my parents didn't think were good for me. The flip side is, I've traveled all over the world, not just Asia. London, Paris, Munich, Rome, Greece, Prague(my favorite), Moscow, Bangladesh, etc. The irony is, my parents wanted me to be more cosmopolitan but controlled to the point where I couldn't do anything. Naturally, I'm overcompensating now for that by being a bit less careful about what I do :)
Post a Comment